ADSM-L

TSM 5.1 license registration failed?

2002-09-29 00:28:12
Subject: TSM 5.1 license registration failed?
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 04:10:21 +0000
I'm stumped by something (simple?) relating to TSM licensing.

We've got a pretty plain vanilla TSM 5.1 setup with a 3584 tape library.
No additional features purchased or in use (SAN, TDP, NMDP, etc).

The 3584 requires a managed library license, as I understand it (has 12
drives and 610 tapes spanning the L32 and D32), so we paid for that
license, along with the number of client nodes we wanted to use.

Didn't receive any paperwork or anything special -- just TSM 5.1 CDs
with all the filesets that were appropriate.

So then, once I've got the 5.1 server set up... went to do:

tsm> register license file=library.lic
tsm> query license

Now says:

[...snip...]
               Number of Managed Libraries licensed: 1
                          Server License Compliance: FAILED

What did I do wrong? Why did it fail? How do I fix so that I can have both
1 managed library AND server compliance = SUCCESS? The documentation is
extremely sparse in this area, to put it charitably. ;)

Did I install the wrong filesets for AIX 5.1 server? For the license, I
have these filesets installed:

# lslpp -l|grep tivoli|grep -i license
  tivoli.tsm.license.aix5.rte64
  tivoli.tsm.license.cert    5.1.0.0  COMMITTED  Tivoli Storage Manager License

This is for a brand new TSM 5.1 install on a brand new AIX 5.1 install.
No existing nodelock file was present, nor were anything restored.

The only thing I wonder about, after looking at the library.lic file is
a line that says this:

ProductVersion=4.2

Does that mean the license certificate file is specific only to TSM 4.2?

Finally, in previous versions (ADSM 3.1, TSM 4.2, etc), I had to register
an appropriate license for the number of nodes I'd paid for. But there's
no client license certificate files nor anything mentioning it in the
TSM 5.1 'q license', nor in the 5.1 docs...? Does that mean I continue to
pay for client node licenses (I'm not here to rip anyone off!) but just
simply don't need to register them with the server...?

-Dan