ADSM-L

WIN2k Clients Backing up Executables ALL THE TIME

2002-09-26 14:58:58
Subject: WIN2k Clients Backing up Executables ALL THE TIME
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 13:57:06 -0500
Hi folks,

TSM Server 5.1.1.6 (was 4.1.1 but behavior is the same) (on AIX 4.3.3)
TSM Windows Client 5.1.1.5 (was 4.2.1 but behavior is the same)
Windows W2K SP2

My problem is that the W2K clients are always backing up a whack of .exe's and
.dll's. The reason that it is backing them up is that the modified date/time
keeps getting updated. Interestingly enough, the time seems to be when the TSM
schedule starts! These files are obviously not changing.

The other thing is it seems to be backing up the files as system objects and
not files. If I run 'dsmc inc c:', it backs up about 10mb. If I run 'dsmc inc'
it backs up around 800mb.

Any ideas?

Miles

Miles Purdy
System Manager
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada,
Information Systems Team,
Farm Income Programs Directorate
Winnipeg, MB, CA
purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca
ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"