ADSM-L

Re: help:label tape question

2002-09-26 02:28:21
Subject: Re: help:label tape question
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:26:49 +1000
Feng,

Hmm, you want to take 800 tapes out of your library, then label 200 more, but
you only have two drives.

I'd suggest that you have some serious problems here.
Are you running expire inventory regularly?  does it complete?
Are you reclaiming your tape storage pools regularly?

Before you post again, have a look at the Administrator's  Guide,
Chapter 11 "Implementing Policies for Client Data" in the section "File
Expiration and Expiration Processing" and follow the links to  "Reclaiming
Space in Sequential Storage Pools" and "Running Expiration Processing to Delete
Expired Files"

The Administrator's Guide is available in HTML and pdf format on a CD that came
with TSM. It may already be installed on your server.

If you can't work your problem out from that, you need to buy some consulting
time from an expert in your region. There may be problems with your client
retention policies, with Database backup processing, with obsolete filespaces
that need to be deleted or any number of other things, more than we can help
you with on this list.

Good luck.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin,
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

>>> fenglimian AT 163 DOT COM 26/09/2002 13:31:06 >>>
Hi all,
   I have a 3494 library with two dirve,the backup-archive server with ADSM
.When the library must label 200 tapes a time,at the same time ADSM must have
backup some date,can these two operations be doing at the same time?
   Another question is if I take the opertion:
ADSM>label libvol libname search=yes labelsouce=barcode
can library auto label all those tapes in the library?
   Last can you tell me what's the "scratch pool" ?
Thanks and regards
Feng

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.