ADSM-L

Re: Anyone tried 5.1.1.6?

2002-09-25 11:41:02
Subject: Re: Anyone tried 5.1.1.6?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:35:16 -0600
Despite the radically different external names for the NT operating
systems, internally Windows NT 4.0, 2000, and XP are all members of the
Windows NT family of operating systems:

Windows NT 4.0 = NT version 4.0
Windows 2000 = NT version 5.0
Windows XP = NT version 5.1

Similarly, the Windows 9x family looks like this:

Windows 95 = 4.0
Windows 98 = 4.10
Windows Me = 4.90

You can verify this by running the VER command, which will show you the
major version, minor version, and build number (i.e. 5.00.2195 for Windows
2000). VER works on NT 4.0, but is slightly more accurate if you
right-click on "My Computer", select "Properties" from the pop-up menu,
and look at the info on the "General" tab. I know that VER works on Me; it
may also work on 95 and 98, though the "My Computer" properties may be
more accurate (I haven't looked at 95 or 98 in quite some time).

For programmers, the GetVersion() and GetVersionEx() Windows API functions
also return Windows version information (figuring out exactly which
version/edition of Windows you are running is not trivial).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

"Jolliff, Dale" <xjolliff AT TI DOT COM>
09/25/2002 05:42