ADSM-L

Re: new server migrations

2002-09-17 09:14:19
Subject: Re: new server migrations
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 09:11:30 -0400
I agree with Nathan... option 1 is not possible.  I tried it going from AIX
to HP.

Option 2 depends on how much data you have.  We had about 60TB on our AIX
TSM Server in a ATL P3000 (DLT7000 drives).  I roughly calculated it would
take over six months of  tape to tape copies, running 24x7 with optimal
throughput, to migrate the environment to the HP.  BTW, you must do
export/import, because there is no other way to get the database info from
AIX to "other" platform.  Even if you could get all the database info
migrated, you probably would not be able to read the tapes from the AIX
environment on the Sun hardware.  It is not a purely hardware issue
(obviously you can transfer tar images between platforms), but has
something to do with the way TSM records data on the different platforms.
That's what Tivoli support told me.  My solution to this messy problem was
to keep the legacy AIX environment up until all of the data residing there
expires (one year, which will be coming up in about a month!).   I simply
started backing up all clients to the new TSM server, and we handle any
restore requests for older data from the AIX server.  Obviously you have to
have new server and library, but it looks like you have all the pieces....
as long as you did not have any plans for the legacy hardware.

Good Luck!
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    Nathan King
                    <[email protected]
                    R.COM>        To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    Sent by:      cc:
                    "ADSM: Dist   Subject:
                    Stor Manager"        Re: new server migrations
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                    RIST.EDU>

                    09/16/02
                    05:11 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Actually No.1 just flat out won't work. You can't backup the TSM DB on
one platform and restore to a different platform.

No.2 is your only option, in conjunction with import/export <-- that's
what the tools are for. Don't use server-server.