ADSM-L

Re: archive being done right?

2002-09-13 11:12:34
Subject: Re: archive being done right?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:51:46 -0500
I'll let someone else address whether the over-all process is correct for
what you're trying to do, and just hit the key point -- the copy pool
checkouts.

If these are going off-site for any kind of D/R or "cover-your-backside in
the event of environmental problems" (flood, fire, earthquake, other acts of
God or man) then they need to go DAILY, full or not. Along with a TSM
database backup (if you don't have the TSM database you have used but empty
tapes).

If you're concerned about mostly empty tapes off-site, run reclaims. They'll
get logically rebuilt from the originals again, another day's data gets
added, and THESE tapes go off-site. Bring back the now-empty off-site tapes.
Repeat until tapes wear out. My DLT tapes were still going strong after four
years of this sort of treatment.

One of the tapes I checked out this morning was 13.9% full -- and one of my
real long-term archive pools can give me LTO tapes that list as 0.0% or 0.1%
when they first go off-site. As I've said before -- in the great scheme of
things, tape is cheap.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc