ADSM-L

Updating Hard Disks

2002-09-12 19:13:56
Subject: Updating Hard Disks
From: Allan J Mills <A.Mills AT PATRICK.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:03:52 +1000
Folks

I have a 7044-170 with 2x 9GB drives ( mirror'd)

This has become a 24x7 EDI/SMS/FTP server and now it has MQ added to it
I have been tasked with upgrading the 9GB disks to 36GB disks to add yet
another
application.   No-one logs in to this machine it simply goes out and gets
files and
distributes them according to set rules.

As the 170 can only have 3 disks, I was hoping to break the mirror on the
on the 9GB drives and remove one.

Install the 2 x 36 GB drives

hopefully I could use bosboot to put boot image on one of the 36's
and then migratepv of the 9 gb drive.

I could then mirror the 36's  and remove the other 9 from the vg.

Has anyone done this, while maintaining the 23.5x7 uptime.
(I can get 30 mins to install the disks)

Sounds simple but I'm sure there are a few gottcha's

(I am not concerned with the disk numbering as there will only be 2)

Allan Mills
Senior Systems Administrator
Patrick Corp Ltd