ADSM-L

Re: Gigabit performance with Win2K

2002-09-12 12:00:35
Subject: Re: Gigabit performance with Win2K
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 10:05:40 -0400
> We are currently looking into upgrading our network to from 100Mb to
> gigabit and our network architecture group wanted to make sure that TSM
> could use all that bandwidth if it had it available.  My main concern and
> the main reason for the upgrade is our Domino servers, can TDP use the
> extra speed, or is there too much overhead to let it ramp up to a good
> pace?  Can we expect TSM to get a 10x throughput increase?
> I know there is a lot on this subject on ASDM.org but I did not see any
> comments on TDP or Win2K environments.
>
> Our environment is as follows:
>
> The server and nodes are all Win2K SP2
> TSM server 4.2.1.0  2x1GHz procs
>
> File server clients 4.2.2.0 varying processors
>
> TDP for Domino 1.1.2
> Domino 5.0.8 on 4x550 mhz procs

Greg,

Performance is not my area of expertise but you
said any input is helpful... so here it goes:

If your network has been the bottleneck in the
performance then your proposed upgrade should
increase your performance.  Will it be
increased by 10x?  I doubt it. Once you remove
one bottleneck, the next ones shows up.
(Disk, CPU, TSM Server resources, etc.)

TDP for Domino does have a multi-processed,
multi-buffered engine that will attempt to
keep feeding data to the network as quickly
as possible. In addition, you could run
multiple instances of TDP for Domino to
get even more parallelism and utilize
more network bandwidth.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.