ADSM-L

Lots of little TSM Questions...

2002-09-11 14:07:57
Subject: Lots of little TSM Questions...
From: "Miller Dave (RBNA/CIT1)" <Dave.Miller AT US.BOSCH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:59:01 -0500
I am current using a compaq ESL9198 library. (200 slots, (8)DLT40/80 drives)
Unfortunately the capacity for the library is about 10TB and we have around
15TB of data in our primary storage pool now.   Needless to say, I am
endlessly importing and exporting media to make room for scratch media,
volumes for file restores etc.

On top of this, our management is now requiring me to retain monthly full
backups.  (I'm planning on using backup sets, but if someone has a better
solution, I'd love to hear it!)

I am currently planning on upgrading our tape library but have a few
questions:

1) Is anyone sharing a single library with multiple TSM servers?  If so, how
well is it working?
(I also need to split-up our TSM server into multiple servers, the current
size of the TSM DB is around 35GB.  If I buy a large library, is this
library sharing really going to work reliably as advertised?)

2) The current library I'm looking as is a new Compaq ESL9595SL2 (600 slots,
(16) 160/320 drives).  How would that compare to say- a storagetek L700E?
(I know there are ALOT of variables here, just looking for very general
info) What advantages/disadvantages are there to using ACSLS libraries?

3)  Is anyone familiar with the "new backupset option" in TSM 5.1?  I
looking in the online documentation, but can't seem to find anything

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Dave