ADSM-L

Methods to migrate to TSM from other backup software

2002-09-10 15:05:10
Subject: Methods to migrate to TSM from other backup software
From: William SO Ng <ngwso AT HK1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 03:08:01 +0800
Hello TSMers,

I would like to open a discuss on how to migrate data backup by other
software or methods to TSM.  There will be two situations:

1)    Customer has already been using other backup software/method such as
Veritas or Legato or tar or cpio.  Can anyone share their experience with
me ?  I know one of the ways is to install TSM on the same client and start
the parallel run.  Then slowly migrate to TSM.  But the drawback is the
client may not be able to afford two backup agents running concurrently.

2)    Customers have some archive tapes that were backup using other backup
software, e.g. financial data that need to be kept for 7 years.  How to
make TSM able to read these tapes and restore them ?  I know we can suggest
customers to restore the tapes first and then use TSM to backup.   But is
there any other ways beside this one ?  Customer may not have sufficient
system resource to restore and backup the data.

Thanks & Regards
William