ADSM-L

Re: BareMetalRestore

2002-09-09 12:46:13
Subject: Re: BareMetalRestore
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 12:45:35 -0400
AIX has NIM: Network Install Manager, which lets you keep bootable images on
a remote network drive.
Other OSes may have similar functionality (does HP Ignite let you keep the
bootable image on a remote network drive?)

So, make that bootable image monthly (say), then back up that remote network
drive with TSM, and you have bootable images within TSM.  TSM cannot
directly manage tape volumes written by mksysb or Ignote, etc. -  a shame,
because TSM does the off-site vaulting, etc.  But TSM *CAN* manage mkysysb
images built like this.

I think some people are using this technique today with good success.  It's
simple enough - you should be able to automate it without too much effort.

Mr. Lindsay Morris
CEO, Servergraph
www.servergraph.com
859-253-8000 ofc