ADSM-L

Re: TDP/Domino V1.1 w/TSM NT 4.2.2.0 client going to AIX TSM Srv 4.2.2.0 "waiting for TSM server" ???

2002-09-06 12:06:20
Subject: Re: TDP/Domino V1.1 w/TSM NT 4.2.2.0 client going to AIX TSM Srv 4.2.2.0 "waiting for TSM server" ???
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:24:32 -0400
> Running a Domino incremental we see TONS of long waits....
>         Waiting for TSM
> server....................................................
> ???
> when a selective (full) runs we see very few and those are very very
> short...
> I saw Del's reply but this is way beyond any sort of normal waiting...
> A selective backup takes 6 hours and an incremental takes 10 hours ? ? ?
> Just wondering before I call Tivoli for some more answers...

Dwight,

Hmm... I agree, this sounds rather strange.
As mentioned before, you will get a "Waiting for TSM Server..."
when TDP for Domino is waiting for a TSM API function call to complete.
At the start of the incremental, all the objects are queried on
the TSM server...  so the inital wait, could be longer...
...but after data has begun to flow... the only delays that
I see would happen, are the TSM Server trying to get tapes mounted
or waiting for other TSM Server processes that have priority.
... in which case, it seems you should see the same thing on
selectives as you would incrementals...

I would examine the TSM Server activity log to see if you
can determine why the server is pausing during those long delays.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.