ADSM-L

Re: ANR0444W Protocol Error - Type GroupHandler

2002-09-05 15:46:49
Subject: Re: ANR0444W Protocol Error - Type GroupHandler
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 13:39:27 -0600
I forgot to address your question about "GroupHandler".

GroupHandler is a TSM verb (an element of the "language" that TSM
components use to communicate with each other) used to relate a number of
different objects so that they are handled as a single logical group on
the server.

A protocol error occurs when there is a violation of the well-defined
sequence in which verbs are exchanged between TSM components.  An analogy
would be a situation where you pass a friend in the hall, and you say "Hi,
how are you doing?" Normally you would expect your friend to respond with
something like, "I'm doing great! How about yourself?". But instead, if
your friend responds with something like, "The sky is blue", you'll be
left scratching your head; because while the response was a valid
sentence, it didn't make sense within the context of your greeting, i.e.
it was a "protocol violation". In the case of TSM, the client apparently
sent a GroupHandler verb to the server when the server was not expecting
it.

>From the Admin CLI, run the command

   HELP 0444

to find out more about the ANR0444W message.

If you want to know more about the GroupHandler verb, you can check the
TSM API manual and start looking at the dsmGroupHandler() function. Also
check out "File Grouping" in the index. But in this case, knowing what
GroupHandler is all about won't help you resolve this problem, but it will
help the IBM/TSM support and development folks figure out what is going
on.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.
----- Forwarded by Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM on 09/05/2002 12:20 -----

Andrew Raibeck
09/05/2002 08:14