ADSM-L

Re: DSMSERV DUMPDB -> DEVCLASS FILE (DEVTYPE=FILE) ---- Possible? If so, what are the requirements ?

2002-09-04 10:28:21
Subject: Re: DSMSERV DUMPDB -> DEVCLASS FILE (DEVTYPE=FILE) ---- Possible? If so, what are the requirements ?
From: Fred Johanson <fred AT MIDWAY.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:02:20 -0500
Did you set the MAXCAP to a reasonable number, in your case 60Gb?  The
default capacity for the FILE devc is really low.

At 03:46 PM 9/3/2002 -0400, you wrote:
I made a test copy of my TSM database volumes on a test server, then tried
running DSMSERV DUMPDB.  The test server doesn't have access to a tape
drive, but has substantial disk storage, so I defined a DEVCLASS FILE
DEVTYPE=FILE in 'devconfig', then ran DSMSERV DUMPDB using FILE as a
target.   That seemed to work for a minute or two (DUMPDB allocated a file
on disk), but then terminated with an out-of-space error.   The target
volume had more than enough space to hold the entire 50GB DB, but only
about 500MB were allocated before the operation failed.

Did I miss a requirement, or is this simply not possible?

-rsvp, thanks

Kent Monthei
GlaxoSmithKline