ADSM-L

Consolidating NT servers to a NAS

2002-09-03 21:27:43
Subject: Consolidating NT servers to a NAS
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:05:17 -0500
We're about to replace four NT fileservers with one IBM NAS-box. Is there
any way to migrate or export/import the TSM backup data? The directory
structure is changing along with the UNC name and the drive letter
(filesystem). In addition, we're splitting our biggest server over two
drives in the new box.

I can't see a good way to keep my 'x' generations of \\fileserv1\d$ when the
new system is going to have \\fileserv1\d$\data as one drive (fileserve\z$)
and \\fileserv1\d$\userhome as another (fileserve\y$).

Adding to the fun & frolic, \\fileserv2\d$ will also end up under
\\fileserve\z$.

Suggestions?

Do I just camp on the old data for 45 days and then blow it away? The vast
majority of the files of interest change daily, so my five-version backup
just barely covers the work-week. The rest of the files are huge seldom-used
access databases that (a) probably wouldn't be detected as corrupt for
months and (b) probably won't have a useable copy in TSM by the time we find
out it's corrupt anyhow.

TIA

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO. Inc