ADSM-L

Re: Exchange bases ...

2002-09-01 01:13:01
Subject: Re: Exchange bases ...
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 23:54:35 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Arni Eggertsson
> Apparently Tivoli decided to use the Microsoft API to backup the
> Exchange database,  this is done to be able to do a "consistant"
> backup of the database.

It goes deeper than that.

If you stick to the APIs within an OS and the applications that run under
that OS, you never get bitten by the "we added a service pack, and now the
backups aren't happening" bug that ArcServe and Netbackup suffer from
constantly. Also, in the case of Exchange, Microsoft will not support an
Exchange environment that has experienced mailbox-level backups and
restores, since the Exchange APIs don't support them.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE