ADSM-L

Re: Hoping to get new adsm server

2002-08-31 22:11:16
Subject: Re: Hoping to get new adsm server
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 20:14:43 EDT
We did a simple cpu/disk upgrade during first shift. The libary was the same,
and we moved from nt4 running on a Dell 6100 (dual 200Mhz) to a Dell 2400 also
a dual cpu running w2k.

After the last of the night's backup finished we
copyed all the primary data to the offsite pool.

Migrated all data from disk storage pools to tape, This saves an audit.

Made a full db copy and an incr as some of the prior work overlapped.

Copied the volhist, devcnfg and several other historic files to the new box..

Renamed the nt4 server to a new nodename.

Move scsi-interface cards from the old server to the new server.

Renamed the pre-staged w2k box to the old adsm/tsm server name as this was easl
ier then changing dns in our case.

Restored the data base tapes.

Fixed up the storage pools by deleting the old volumes and creating new ones.

Fixed up the libary by deleting the drives and libray and defining them again.
I tried to use the new mmc wizard but the libary and drive names did not match
those defined on the old system. So I used the old line mode commands from the
orginal vm product days.

The pc hardware and os changed, but the tsm software level and tape hardware
did not.

In the future, I would delete the disk storage pool volumes and tape devices
before the move.

Moving to a server lets you try a small subset of the skills required for
a dr drill.

len