ADSM-L

TDP for Domino not backing up files

2002-08-30 18:37:06
Subject: TDP for Domino not backing up files
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:16:09 -0400
Just had a bad combination of events that has caused us to lose data, due
to hardware failure, "bad design" in the web-admin gui and a possible
problem with the TDP for Domino.

Here is the sordid story.......

Had a backup schedule for a Domino TDP node. Unfortunately, there was an
erroneous "-" in the OPTIONS field (this is the part about the "bad
design") and due to the enormous volume of messages generated during the
daily backups of 5-Domino servers, I (and the box owner) missed that the
backup was failing with a "return code 12".

My issue with the "design" is this. Using the web-admin client, when you
first select a "client schedule", it always shows a "-" in the OPTIONS
field, as a place-holder, I guess. But, when you go in to "Update", the
"-" is gone. Also, leaving a "-" by itself doesn't cause any errors,
warnings, etc. On top of that, simply deleting the "-" doesn't make it go
away. You have to do a '' to remove it. I could go on about this, but the
web-admin gui has already been flogged here.

Now we have a hardware controller "hickup" which causes 4-partitions on
this box, to disappear.

After resolving this, now we discover that the last backup is 1-week old,
due to the problem with the erroneous "-".

Since there is no choice but to use this backup, she restores everything
from it.

Here is where the "possible problem with TDP for Domino" comes in.

She gets a call from a user that they are missing lots of stuff in their
Notes DB (of course, it had to be the AUDIT department :-( ). Discover
that the *ONLY* backup for this Notes DB is from a month ago, when the
original backup was performed on this box. Their DB hasn't been backed up
since, even though they use it daily. Investigation into the sched logs
only shows one strange error messages, during one of the backup runs, that
talks about another backup running at the same time, which we can't figure
out how this was possible. No other error messages !

So, what gives ?   Why isn't this file being backed-up ?