ADSM-L

Re: backupset volumes

2002-08-29 16:33:33
Subject: Re: backupset volumes
From: Michael Moore <Michael_Moore AT VFC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:12:02 -0400
To answer your first question:

Q VOLHIST TYPE=BACKUPSET

This will give you detailed information such as below:

      Date/Time: 08/27/2002 13:45:10
    Volume Type: BACKUPSET
  Backup Series:
ackup Operation:
     Volume Seq: 1
   Device Class: 3590_ONSITE
    Volume Name: 320629
Volume Location:
        Command: generate backupset itxf2awww3 req * devclass=3590_onsite
                  retention=5

      Date/Time: 08/27/2002 13:45:10
    Volume Type: BACKUPSET
  Backup Series:
ackup Operation:
     Volume Seq: 2
   Device Class: 3590_ONSITE
    Volume Name: 311251
Volume Location:
        Command:

Since DRM does not manage the volumes, and AIX has not tape management tool
(similar to RMM or TMS for OS/390) it will have to be done manually.
Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

We use backupsets on our OS/390 server, but not the AIX server due to
management issues.

Michael Moore
VF Services Inc.
121 Smith Street
Greensboro,  NC  27420-1488

Voice: 336-332-4423
Fax: 336-332-4544

                      Jin Bae Chi
                      <Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      >                        cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  backupset volumes
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/29/02 01:46 PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hi, TSMers,

We are running TSM 4.2 on AIX4.3.3 and I have 2 questions that couldn't
find answers from books.

1.  Now that I started to generate backupsets for several nodes, but I
couldn't tell which volumes belong to which node when 'q libvol'. The
server shows only 'backupset' and when 'q vol xxxxxxxx f=d', it doesn't
give any info about vol of backupset. I plan to take them to off-site,
but when it expires (30 days), how I do know which need to come back to
on-site? Any recommendation for managing volumes of backupsets?

2.  Does TSM supports to generate backupset or client image backup on
DVD-ROM? My clients wouldn't fit on 1 or 2 regular CD-ROM.

Thanks for your expertise!!

Jin Bae Chi (Gus)
Data Center
614-287-2496