ADSM-L

Re: baffling tape, 3584 HW compression, and stgpool design

2002-08-27 07:35:34
Subject: Re: baffling tape, 3584 HW compression, and stgpool design
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 04:30:37 -0700
Tapes like this generally become this way due to some error such as not
being able to read the volume's internal label when mounted to fill a
scratch request.
There is some TSM message that is along the lines of
        "... making volume private to prevent further access..."
Now this doesn't mean the volume is ~bad~, might have been a drive problem.
Check the tape out, check it back in with a "checklabel=yes", if it can't
read the label, attempt to relabel it, if that fails, toss the tape...

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III
509 S. Boston Ave.  Suite 220
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74103-4606