ADSM-L

Re: Monthly FAQ posting

2002-08-27 05:38:20
Subject: Re: Monthly FAQ posting
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:38:58 +0300
I hope I can also contribute somehow to the FAQ with few additions and
suggestions for correction.

01-08. What is the audience of the list?
A.: Many people related to ADSM/TSM/ITSM are actively participating on the
list - *SM administrators & users, *SM consultants & solution designers,
IBM/Tivoli developers & support people for both TSM and TDP, people from
Hardware (disk/tape storage) and Software (TSM add-ons, tools, etc.)
TSM-related vendors, IBM/Tivoli partners & competitors. All participate on
voluntary basis and no one is obliged to answer your post (look Question
02-03).

02-03. ...
+ Use subjects! Posts without subject or with non-descriptive subject
(like "Please Help!!!") have lower chance to get answered.
(Sorry, this actually is related to netiquette but many people will not
follow your links in 02-04 as do not read "how to unsubscribe" (IMO))

03-03. What means <some_unknown_to_me_TSM_term> ?
The whole ADSM/TSM/ITSM backup ideology from product creation is
completely different compared to other similar purpose products. Many
terms are TSM-specific and their explanation can be found in redbook
"Tivoli Storage Management Concepts" (SG24-4877-02). The book very quickly
and with enough detail can introduce you in the TSM world.

04-07. Latest stable versions are available at
http://www.tivoli.com/support/storage_mgr/adsercli.htm (I think it should be
better than
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/maintenance/
and you had a typo in "maintenenace" :). The latest possible versions which do
not undergo exhaustive testing
are available as patches and can be found at
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/patches.
Client versions are installable and do not require previous version of the
client to be installed. TSM Server code and TSM for Applications (former
Tivoli Data Protection products) code are updates to already installed
base code. The latter is available on the media (CD) recived when the
correspoding product was purchased.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant