ADSM-L

Re: Restore Performance.

2002-08-23 04:04:06
Subject: Re: Restore Performance.
From: "Cahill, Ricky" <Ricky.Cahill AT EQUITAS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:00:36 +0100
If I was restoring just a single server from a small disaster onsite I'd
definatly restore individual base directories in the volume to get more
drives working on the problem.
I'll try benchmarking with some knownlarge files and see what I get
streaming those off as well.

The main problem with the DR restores is tape contention on the offsite
pool, the business needs 7 of the netware servers up and fully restored in
5days and with the throughput from offsite I'm getting of 4-7gb (and that
was with just 3 servers restore at the same time) I don't think I have a
hope in hell of doing it.
I'm about to upgrade to 7 LTO drives and fibre (so will have the same at the
dr site) but from what I can see what I'll gain with the faster drives I'll
lose from increased tape contention with the higher capacity tapes (35-70 >
100-200).
Collocating the offsite isn't an option as it would mean sending offsite
12ish tapes a day and with a retention of 30 days plus some stragglers thats
a hell of a lot of tapes to call abck from DR.