ADSM-L

Re: Override include-exclude list in Unix-client for one session

2002-08-21 09:06:53
Subject: Re: Override include-exclude list in Unix-client for one session
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:08:16 -0400
You *can* do this, but you *should not* do this. If you override the
regular include/exclude list, then you will get a backup of your database
files during that backup. However, the next time you run a backup with
your original include/exclude list, any backup versions of the database
files will be expired (because they are excluded). In summary, you should
think of EXCLUDE statements as telling TSM that you *never* want backups
of the specified files.

You could get the desired effect in this fashion:

1) Create a management class whose backup copygroup has a FREQUENCY
setting of 9999.

2) Update your include/exclude list to INCLUDE the database files and bind
them to this new management class.

3) Shut down the database engine.

4) Use the TSM client to back up the database files. They should get bound
to your new management class.

5) Restart your database engine.

Now your regularly scheduled incremental backups won't back up the
database files again because of the FREQUENCY=9999 setting in the
management class. But on those occasions when you want to do a controlled
shutdown of the database engine, you can run SELECTIVE backups of the
database files to back them up.

An alternative to the above method is to simply register a new node name
with the TSM server, and configure dsm.opt and dsm.sys such that this new
node name will use an include/exclude list that does not exclude your
database files. Then you can perform backups of the database files using
the new node name. Whether you do this manually, or implement some
automated scheme to shut down the database engine/run the backup/restart
the database engine, is up to you.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group
Internet e-mail: storman AT us.eyebm DOT com (change eye to i to reply)

The command line is your friend.

Hi there,

On a machine here, a database that uses files to store the data is
running.
The files used by that database are excluded in the inclexcl.lst file,
because those files shouldn't be backed up when the database is running.
(We use a TDP-client to backup that database while it's running.)

However, I would like to be able to backup those database-files when the
database isn't running.

The problem is that those files are excluded in the inclexcl.lst file
that's pointed to by dsm.sys. I don't want to remove that exclusion,
because those files *should* normally be excluded.

What I'd like is something like "dsmc -inclexcl=other-inclexcl.lst". That
way, I can specify on the commandline that I'd like to override the system
wide inclexcl.lst just for this session.

Is there a way this can be done cleanly?

Thanks,
--
Jurjen Oskam

PGP Key available at http://www.stupendous.org/