ADSM-L

Re: Sybase

2002-08-20 14:02:52
Subject: Re: Sybase
From: "Ochs, Duane" <Duane.Ochs AT QG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:54:33 -0500
No Sybase agent yet.

But ...
 We do a sybase dump local to a remote system and ftp them to a second
offsite location. This Sybase dump is completed 1, 2 or 3 times a week
depending on how critical the database is. Also all the Trans logs are sent
to the second location as they are closed.

 On the second system, we created a directory structure that represents
retention period. (ie, 30 day, 90 day, 1 year, 3 year, 5 year, 7 year,
forever and never.

The DBAs then have to talk to me to get access to these locations for the DB
backups. Once a day we complete an archive and delete all the files. All
except for NEVER. NEVER remains out there, but each dump overwrites the
previous.

This method also allows us to archive during the day, to a local TSM server,
with no impact to the users.

Duane Ochs
Systems Administration
Quad/Graphics Inc.