ADSM-L

Re: TSM and protocol converters

2002-08-17 11:55:48
Subject: Re: TSM and protocol converters
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 06:24:04 +0300
IBM SAN Data Gateway supports IBM 3575. You can attach both 3575s to same
SDG.
For 3583 there is SDG module with 4 LVD ports which is field installable
in the library (as an upgrade). It is cheaper than standalone product and
does not occupy additional space.
Both standalone and module versions are supported from hardware and
software (TSM) point of view. And I personally had no problems with them.
For TSM 4.1 you will have to replace SCSI TSM driver with FCP+SCSI one
(which is well documented). For v4.2 and v5.1 there is no SCSI-only driver
fileset.
I do not know "TSM supported" FC/SCSI converter for HP DLT 4/40 but any
which works with the library ought to work with TSM (statements on Tivoli
site are somewhat fuzzy on this topic).
Have in mind two issues:
- not every SAN component is compatible with any other SAN component. For
example IBM SDG (Pathlight) will for sure work with IBM 2109 (Brocade
Silkworm) switches but AFAIK will not work with McDATA or Inrange
Directors.
- number of necessary FC adapters - 4 LTO + 2x4 3570 + 4x DLT ~= 288 MB/s
with compression. So you will need at least 3 FC adapters.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant