ADSM-L

Re: IBM vs. Storage Tek

2002-08-15 20:17:15
Subject: Re: IBM vs. Storage Tek
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 16:48:30 -0700
I am still trying to collect contacts for some of the STK sites;  I am aware
of about six customers switching "TO" 9940 (with SN6000) from something
else - one is replacing their 3590 with 9940's (not LTO).

Changing from 3590 to LTO is definitely a step "backward" in reliability;
performance is also 8-10 times slower... the basic idea behind LTO was to
provide a cost-effecting, competing product against DLT -- which is exactly
what it is.

LTO is 8-10 faster (and more reliable) than DLT;  all this, at a price point
competitive with DLT.  3590 is 8-10 times faster and worlds more reliable
than LTO (and 9840/9940 which is comparable with 3590).  I think of
3590/9940 as the industrial-strength answer for large data centers -- large
to me means moving over 1.5 TB per day, storing over 20 TB of data in their
silo;  smaller sites, more price conscious, willing to "tolerate" slower
restore speeds are the ideal target for LTO.  Most shops know that DLT is
slow;  if we can approximate 10-15 GB/hour in restoring a file server, they
know that is a good number -- and I have demo'ed that with Dell PowerVault
130 using DLT7000.  Large db's can be restored at 20-36 GB per hour;  DLT is
at the low end of that, LTO is at the high end -- you just about saturate
the 100 Mbps wire at 30 GB/hr.

LTO, like DLT, does not like alot of "back-hitch" operations;  so, I would
minimize the amount of collocation on LTO.  Every account I know that has
LTO is ecstatic about the performance;  the LTO design was based on 3590
technology, but (to cut costs) some reliability factors were sacrificed...
this is not a drive you want to run without a service contract, especially
if you're gonna beat it with the "back-hitch" action that's required to
back-space from eot, find last tape mark, start writing next data block from
end if the inter-record gap of the last one, etc.

One person's opinion, stretched over a dozen or more customer accounts.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)