ADSM-L

Re: Multiple logical libraries for 3584

2002-08-13 23:00:42
Subject: Re: Multiple logical libraries for 3584
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 03:01:25 +0000
Hot Diggety! Mark D. Rodriguez was rumored to have written:

> Judging by your configuration I beleive that you have just one physical
> library.  I beleive the L32 is the base unit and the D32 is an expansion
> cabinet, i.e. the 2 of them are physicaly attached to one another and
> share the same robotics.  Is this correct?  If so then yes you can
> partition the library as you described.

Aye, that is correct, from what I understand of the setup.

> But the real question is whatare you trying to accomplish?  If this is
> to be connected to 2 different servers there are a few more things that
> have to be in place.  If both of these logical libraries are to be used
> by the same TSM server I am not sure I understand the rational for doing
> so.  You could just as easily manage the drive utilization through other
> TSM server options.  Please explain a little bit more what you are
> trying to accomplish.

Basically I'm trying to split on-site vs off-site (copypool) tapes, with
each group having its own drives and pile of in-use (private) vs spare tapes.

Currently we do it with a 3575 for on-site tapes and a 3570 library for
the off-site tapes, and it avoids significant potential handling issues.
Not wanting to give Murphy more chances to possibly break things anywhere
due to improper or mistaken tape handling, basically.

It also protects availability for doing client restores as well as gives
us a guaranteed number of drives/tapes that can be used at any given time
for doing daily backups. Gives me some hard guarantees about available
resources that I can then plan the entire operation around.

Connection is to only one server. I just didn't think it was possible to
safely handle multiple TSM libraries via a single media changer interface
(/dev/smc0) and from reading the literature, was led to believe that multiple
logical libraries was required (each one providing a smc device) in order to
control the drives in each partitioned group of tape drives, as well as
for determining what tapes were in a pool and available for spare use.

-Dan