ADSM-L

Re: Delete a specific backup

2002-08-13 18:36:15
Subject: Re: Delete a specific backup
From: Don France <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:40:20 -0700
It sounds like you are trying to manage your backup tapes (as in traditional
backup software -- like every other product out there);  you should just let
TSM manage the tapes -- if you have a failure on a daily incremental, you
simply re-run it the next night (or sooner, if you are so inclined)... TSM
will still only backup the new/changed files (assuming you are configured
with the standard, typical situation).  There are cases where a customer
wants "full" backups more than just the first time a full-incremental is
run -- but that is not typical, it's only because they are trying to
consolidate mission-critical backups for the fastest restore, but there are
better ways to accomplish that goal than re-sending the whole file system
across the network (such as weekly image backup, and/or collocation on the
file-level incrementals).

Your question suggests that you might greatly benefit from a better
understanding of the progressive-incremental technology that TSM employs to
back up file-served data;  this product will use far fewer tapes to handle
storing several versions of any given file, and (when configured properly)
will manage the tapes and restore the data faster than its competitors.  For
example, with your 200 GB file system, it probably has thousands of files;
using the "Getting Started" book, rule of thumb, you'd need only 200 x 5% x
#-versions, (say 14 days point-in-time restore capability), 1.7 times the
file space occupancy -- one full copy plus 5% for each additional day in
your point-in-time restore criteria (guessing that less than 5% change per
day across the most recent 14-day period).

With TSM, there is no need to delete a specific day's backup of flat-file
data, plain and simple;  if that statement makes no sense to you, then you
need a better understanding of the product -- your email is from IGS, so
that would be highest recommendation.  Now, all of this gets more "involved"
when discussing backup strategies for large data base volumes;  see the
applicable TDP books and discuss with the dba's supporting the application
to determine what's needed.

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT att DOT net

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)