ADSM-L

Re: Web Admin Interface - grrr

2002-08-13 05:15:25
Subject: Re: Web Admin Interface - grrr
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:15:46 +0300
The thread was initially for web admin but my vote definitely goes to CLI
(I had not the chance to work with ADSM 3.1 so am not familiar with GUI).
I am another person using *only* CLI. Being at customer site when someone
opens web interface for TSM administration I use again only its CLI
functionality. Even do not know what is where in web interface.
My day-to-day operation uses just two CLI sessions - one in consolemode
and second for entering commands. Command line editor helps enough and I
am not afraid to type single command with 2-3 lines of parameters. Only
one problem till now - telnet clients do not handle "Insert" key correctly
so I have to retype rest of the line when something is inserted (AIX
dsmadmc through telnet). CLI using X Windows or local admin client do not
have this problem.
And I would be happy if someone may point me to a method for automating
TSM operations using WebAdmin (without CLI). So if you want to automate
your repetitive tasks you for sure will need CLI knowledge. Why then to
waste efforts learning web admin.
As on Andy's signature - "Command line is your friend".
My opinion does not bind anybody except me.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant