ADSM-L

Re: Expiration significantly slower with TSM 5.1?

2002-08-07 11:59:05
Subject: Re: Expiration significantly slower with TSM 5.1?
From: Joerg Pohlmann/CanWest/IBM <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:58:45 -0700
Hi Gerhard. I have not seen expiration running slower. Mind you, we had a
whole bunch of changes take place when we went to 5.1.1.1 - we had a
server upgrade to a p660, SCSI disk to SSA disk, etc. so for us,
expiration went from about 3 hours to about 2 hours, scanning about 8
million objects.  What we did see is a strange acceleration of the scan
(and therefore counters ticking over) after the resource lockout.  Once
the server came out of its stall, the behaviour was as if the server was
re-reading parts of the database, because at first the counters clicked
over very slowly and then all of a sudden the counters spun up into
advances of several hundreds to thousands. All-in-all, 5.1.1.1 gave us
more pluses than minuses. We like the multi-threaded restore and the
direct-to-copy storage pool data movement on backup. The latter especially
has saved lots of time getting large objects ready for DR (e.g. DB2
database backups).

Joerg Pohlmann
604-535-0452

Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
2002-08-06 01:28