ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SQL, Data/Meta backup locations

2002-08-06 16:54:07
Subject: Re: TDP for SQL, Data/Meta backup locations
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 16:53:25 -0400
> It has been mentioned, both here in the listserv, and in the
documentation,
> that the "meta" information should be backed up to disk and the "data"
> should be backed up to tape, especially with large databases using
/stripe
> =(something >1), and filespace collocation in the storage pool.
>
> I can't seem to figure out how to do that.  Can someone explain how this
> works, the mechanics involved, etc.  Do "meta" and "data" resided in
> different management classes?  Is there already documentation that lists
> how to do set this up?

Todd,

This is discussed in the TDP for SQL User's Guide.
Read Chapter 3 to learn about this.
Chapter 3 talks about this under "Setting Automatic Expiration".
It is accomplished through INCLUDE lists to bind the "meta" data
to a disk only storage pool.
Also Chapter 3 (under "Configuring the Tivoli Storage Manager Server")
talks about setting up the TSM Server management classes.

Examples of binding objects to different management classed
are shown in Appendix B.

The sample DSM.OPT (DSM.SMP) file gives examples also.
>From that file:
*======================================================================*
* The following include statements assign all meta objects to          *
* management class SqlDbMetaMgmtClass and all data objects to          *
* SqlDbDataMgmtClass                                                   *
*======================================================================*
*INCLUDE "\...\meta\...\*"     SqlDbMetaMgmtClass
*INCLUDE "\...\data\...\*"     SqlDbDataMgmtClass

In this example, you would have SqlDbMetaMgmtClass be a management
class with only DISK storagepool.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.