ADSM-L

Re: TSM and Solaris 9

2002-08-05 10:08:43
Subject: Re: TSM and Solaris 9
From: "Stephen E. Bacher" <seb AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 08:54:42 -0400
>We did not hack the install package, and the install failed.  I would
>be happy to have the details, and I would be happier if IBM/Tivoli would
>provide a statement of direction for support on Solaris 9.

As far as how to hack the install package - and remember that this
means you have an utterly unsupported installation if you do this:

I found the basic technique for hacking a TSM Solaris package somewhere
on the web some time ago.

The idea is to "unbuild" the package, be able to see the
component files, make the fixes you need, and then put
the package back together.

Part of that process is making sure that the checksums and
timestamps are correct as well.

Here's an example.  TSM 5.1 for Solaris was built in such a
way as to require a group "adsmc" to be defined on your system.
Since I didn't like that, and IBM said they wouldn't rebuild
the package until the next release, I decided to fix it myself:

 mkdir /tmp/xxx
 cd    /tmp/xxx
 tar xf <Tivoli distributed tar file>
 cp TIVsmCdoc.pkg doc.pkg
 pkgtrans doc.pkg /tmp
 cd /tmp/TIVsmCdoc
 vi pkgmap # ... edit "pkgmap" to change all "adsmc" to "sys"
 # The following line sets the modification time of "pkgmap"
 # to match that of the package file "install".
 touch -m -r install pkgmap
 cd /tmp
 pkgtrans -s /tmp /dev/stdout TIVsmCdoc > fixed.pkg
 mkdir /tmp/xxx
 cd    /tmp/xxx
 tar xf <Tivoli distributed tar file>
 rm TIVsmCdoc.pkg
 cp /tmp/fixed.pkg  TIVsmCdoc.pkg
 tar cvpf <new fixed tar file>

But normally I've used this technique to edit one of the
install scripts to remove a check for a particular level
of Solaris.  In that case, the procedure is slightly more
elaborate.  Here's what I found some years ago from a
Michael R. Vogt (apologies for not asking permission):

 #----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 #----------------------------------------------------------------------------

> # translate the package back from file system format to "datastream" format
>
> cd /tmp
> pkgtrans -s /tmp /dev/stdout IBMDSMba5 > sol26.pkg

Hope this helps.

Steve Bacher
Draper Laboratory
seb AT draper DOT com