ADSM-L

Re: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver

2002-07-31 17:52:20
Subject: Re: Backup of Win2`K Fileserver
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 15:50:35 -0600
        You say the backup has been running for 2 weeks. I guess the
question I would ask is, "Are you getting a decent throughput? i.e. if you
do a 'q occ' 1 hour apart, are you getting a reasonable increase or are you
getting very little?". If you get very little data, I'd pursue analyzing the
network and NIC settings. If you are getting decent throughput, but it never
completes, then your situation might be similar to what we had last week.

        Lemme tell you what happened. Our NT admins move a large (300GB)
fileserver onto a NetApp. They back it up through an NFS mount, and of
course, the drive letter changed, so it had to do a full backup. (We are not
using NDMP at this time, but I'm willing to listen to any reports of the
good/bad points of NDMP on TSM. I believe that using NDMP, I will have to
move all 300GB once a week for the full backup, and that sounds just
painful).

        Anyways, we let it run for a couple of days, and it finally gets to
about 300GB of data pushed to the TSM server. It should be about done, yet
it keeps on going. What? how can the initial backup of a 300GB filesystem
backup 350 GB? We get the NT admins to look at it and surprise! The NetApp
is doing a nightly snapshot and the inclexcl on the client is not excluding
any of the '.snapshot' directories that are all renamed/moved nightly, so
TSM is trying to backup each file on the host 7 times, regardless of whether
it has changed or not. Ouch!

        We got the inclexcl cleaned up to only backup 1 copy of the data and
it should be OK now.

Thanks,
Ben