ADSM-L

Re: Minimizing Database Utilization

2002-07-30 11:43:51
Subject: Re: Minimizing Database Utilization
From: Todd Lundstedt <Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:41:45 -0500
Well, well.. I totally read my book the wrong way.  I will go recalculate.
Thanks for pointing out this huge error on my part.  Now I have to go
figure out where the rest of my database utilization is going, too.

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          "Thomas Denier"   |
|        |          <Thomas.Denier@mai|
|        |          l.tju.edu>        |
|        |                            |
|        |          07/30/02 10:37 AM |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |      To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU, Todd_Lundstedt AT VIA-CHRISTI DOT
ORG                                                  |
  |      cc:
                                       |
  |      Subject:     Re: Minimizing Database Utilization

> I based the increase in DB size on the "600k
> of database space per object stored by TSM" rule.

I believe the rule of thumb historically given in TSM documentation
is 600 bytes per object, not 600 kilobytes. I have a single client
with 4.8 million backup files in one of its file systems, and several
others with substantial fractions of that number. I have offsite copy
pools for all backups. All of this fits in a ten gigabyte database.