ADSM-L

Re: recovery log filling

2002-07-26 15:35:51
Subject: Re: recovery log filling
From: "Talafous, John G." <Talafous AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:34:12 -0400
Joe,
  I've noticed that no one responded to your post and since I have had some
experience with recovery log filling with TSM 4.1 and normal mode, I thought
I would respond.
  My experience is that the TSM log can fill with long running clients. In
our shop, particularly OS2 and VMS clients will cause the recovery log to
fill. It seems that all clients, upon beginning a backup session, place a
'peg' in the recovery log. I am not sure what the purpose of this is, but I
assume it is for 'rollback' purposes. Anyhow, any and all database update
transactions are then trapped in the recovery log until the oldest 'peg' is
cleared by successful completion or failure. So, if you have
loooooooonnnnnnggggg running (poor network connection?) clients, they can
cause you problems.
  We use an AIX server and with TSM 4.1.x.x our recover log of 5GB would
fill at least 5 times a week and crash the server. Upgrade to TSM 4.2 (it is
supported and 4.1 is not!) and your recovery log can be expanded to 13GB.
This might get you over the hump.
  Because of our diversity and the fact that we have looooooonnnnnnnggggg
running backup clients, I have never been able to enjoy the success of
roll-forward recovery at this installation.

Hope this helps,
John G. Talafous              IS Technical Principal
The Timken Company            Global Software Support
P.O. Box 6927                 Data Management
1835 Dueber Ave. S.W.         Phone: (330)-471-3390
Canton, Ohio USA  44706-0927  Fax  : (330)-471-4034
talafous AT timken DOT com           http://www.timken.com