ADSM-L

Re: LTO Tape OR 9840

2002-07-24 19:08:46
Subject: Re: LTO Tape OR 9840
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 19:06:57 -0400
Some quick answers. I have a IBM 3584 LTO library with
8 drives and IBM tapes, have had about 6 months.
Drives are FC-AL through McData ES-1000 switches to IBM
PSeries (RS6000) 6H1.

I find no problems with tapes. We compress on tape, not
client.  Getting about 275GB on tapes - range from 220
to 350GB.  Have mixture of data types, Oracle Db's with
RMAN, AIX and NT files,  TDP SQL DB backups.

Going tape to tape I get 115GB per hour transfer rate.

Basically, I like it!

David Longo

>>> joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM 07/24/02 03:17PM >>>
Hello everyone!

The environment here is going to be changing soon... We will be moving off
of the mainframe and onto an AIX server that will be on our SAN.  We will
have 1 STK silo for the tapes for 2 TSM servers.  Right now we are
considering IBM's LTO or STK's 9840.  I was just wondering if anyone out
there has had experience with either one and if so,  what are the pro's and
con's of them?  Has anyone that has worked with LTO know how long it takes
to recover a bad tape?  Considering that they are 100GB tapes, it was
assumed that it would take 5 times as long as it does to recover a Magstar
3590(20 GB).  And also, do the tapes get damaged easily or is that all a
matter of handling them to take them offsite to vaults?  Thank you!!!!

Joni Moyer
Associate Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
(717)975-8338

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 07/24/2002 07:08:13 PM
---
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain This message
is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential, proprietary,
or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or privilege is waived
or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this message in error, please
immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard
copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not, directly or indirectly,
use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are
not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the right to monitor all
e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or opinions expressed in
this message are solely those of the individual sender, except (1) where the
message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a particular entity;
and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such views or opinions.