ADSM-L

Re: diskpool performance

2002-07-24 15:33:24
Subject: Re: diskpool performance
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:31:04 -0500
Steve,

Ultimately, you're limited to media write speeds.  For example, my LTO
drives write at 12 MB/s sustained;  my 18 GB SCSI drives write at 16 MB/s
sustained.

Nothing I do to TSM will increase those numbers.  They are the media's
limits.  If I was doing a comparison, I would therefore see only about 33%
better performance to disk than to tape.

There must be a bottlenect SOMEWHERE, otherwise you would achieve infinite
throughput.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram Corporation

Steve Freeman <sfreeman AT ACRLIMITED.CO DOT UK>
07/24/2002 11:00 AM