ADSM-L

Re: Archive or monthly capability for TDP MS-SQL and MS-Exchange

2002-07-24 08:57:36
Subject: Re: Archive or monthly capability for TDP MS-SQL and MS-Exchange
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 08:55:38 -0400
Levinson, Donald A. wrote:
>> Instead of using two nodes could I just specify a different management
class
>> with a backup copy group that has NOLIMIT on the expired versions
retained,
>> and use that management class for only my monthly backups?

Don, what you proposed will not work.

Keep in mind that conceptually, policy settings apply to an
object name, not to various instances of that object.
If you make a new backup changing the management class,
it also changes the management class of the previous backups
that have the same name. And so, all previous backups
will abide by the policy settings of the management class
of the latest successful backup.

Paul's technique using two node names is really a good
way to solve your issue.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

Never cut what can be untied.
Commit yourself to constant improvement.