ADSM-L

Re: INCLEXCL not working as expected on Windows XP client

2002-07-24 03:37:43
Subject: Re: INCLEXCL not working as expected on Windows XP client
From: Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen AT FYSIK.DTU DOT DK>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:36:02 +0200
I asked the list about this problem:

> However, with Windows XP clients I have been unable to obtain this
> desired restricted backup policy.  I did install the TSM client 4.2.2.0,
> following the advice on the ADSM list, so Windows XP support should be OK.
> I have done many experiments with the INCLEXCL options, and I believe
> that the following options in the server or client should work:
>
>   EXCLUDE.DIR "C:\*"
>   INCLUDE "C:\Documents and Settings\...\*.*"

and got excellent advice from several people.  Now I got things to work,
and I would like to summarize my experiences:

1. EXCLUDE.DIR doesn't obey the bottom-up precedence, it will globally
   override any INCLUDE lines.

2. When you define clientoptions in the server, you need both single
   and double quotes when a Windows folder contains spaces, as someone
   else wrote on this list previously, for example:
     DEFINE CLIENTOPT windowsopt INCLEXCL 'include "*:\Documents and
Settings\...\*"' seq=20
   Note that '' is needed to protect the command argument, and that ""
   is needed to protect the folder name containing spaces.

My CLIENTOPT for Windows XP clients now roughly looks like this,
as shown by QUERY CLOPTSET on the server:

exclude *:\...\*
include "*:\Documents and Settings\...\*"
exclude.dir *:\Windows
exclude.dir "*:\Program Files"

Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics