ADSM-L

Offsite Archives & DRM

2002-07-24 02:58:47
Subject: Offsite Archives & DRM
From: Gordon Woodward <gordon.woodward AT DB DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 16:57:00 +1000
This is a follow up to a post I sent through the other day about problems with
offsite tapes we were having and TSM (for NT) not allowing anymore tapes to be
loaded into the library.

I've been reading the TSM Admin Guide today about DRM and copy storage pools
and I think have found the solution to ours problems, however I would like to
run it by some more knowledgable people. First I'll give a quick overview how
our archives are currently working, I should also mention that these are really
'snapshots' of existing data on our servers and not actually removing any data
from their locations.

Once a month we have a scheduled job execute on our Tivoli server which runs
the command "dsmc archive....etc" on each of our servers. As the server backs
up the data to the Tivoli server it is temporarily stored in a disk storage
pool (ARCHIVE) on our SAN, then as this disk storage pool fills up the data
starts to automatically migrate across to another storage pool of type
sequential access (called TAPEARCH). The next morning a scheduled job runs
which migrates the remaining data held within the disk storage pool across to
the sequential access storage pool, or some LTO tapes as it were. We were then
checking the tapes out that belonged to this sequential access storage pool,
which as it turn out is also a primary storage pool.

Reading through DRM it will only recognise media (data) associated with copy
storage pools, so my line of thought now is that I need to somehow convert the
sequential access storage pool (TAPEARCH) from a primary pool to a copy pool.
My problem now is is that we don't want to retain any copies of this archive
data in our Tivoli library, if I am understanding correctly how copy storage
pools work, we only want to refer to these tapes for the data stored if ever
these was the need restore from them. Is there a way to configure TSM so we can
move the data to a copy storage pool to use with DRM without having to also
retain copies of this same data within the library system on another bunch of
LTO tapes?

Gordon Woodward
Senior Support Analyst
Deustche Asset Management (Australia) Limited
gordon.woodward AT db DOT com

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.