ADSM-L

TDP Domino and database links

2002-07-23 13:54:19
Subject: TDP Domino and database links
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:52:32 -0400
I have a client that is installing the TDP Domino agent, but their mail
server has grown so that almost half of the mail files (NSF's) in the
NOTES/DATA directory are links to another drive where the actual database
resides. Reading the TDP manual, is says that the agent will NOT backup the
physical NSF files that do not reside in the NOTES/DATA directory even
though there is a link file to it. The manual states that a combination of
the TDP agent and the B/A client are needed in this case.

One of the main reasons for using the TDP agent is to serialize usage with
Domino so you don't end up with a lot of retries and fails because the NSF
file(s) is/are in use by Domino. Before moving a different client to the
agent, we were seeing a high percentage of skipped NSF files per night due
to changing or in use. We weren't comfortable using DYNAMIC serialization
and "fuzzy" backups...hence moving to the agent.

Not having the agent follow the links and backup the actual data NSF file is
defeating the purpose of using the agent. Sure  we'll be able to backup 1/2
of the mail files, but the other have will be problematic at best.

Does anyone have other ways of doing database links in Domino? Or are there
plans to add this functionality in a future release of the agent?

TIA,
Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.