ADSM-L

Re: Dr. Watson Error in drive C:\

2002-07-23 00:52:37
Subject: Re: Dr. Watson Error in drive C:\
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:50:41 -0500
Christian Astuni wrote:

Hi ... I have a client with TSM Client 4.2 Level 1.20 under NT 4 sp6a. And
when I want to perform an archive backup of drive C:\ the backup crash with
Dr. Watson error as this dsmcsvc.exe Exception: access violation
(0xc0000005), Address: 0x0047b3b2 and in the dsmsched.log and dsierror.log
there are empty without errors.
But when run a incremental backup i dont have problems.

Can anyone help me ???
Thanks very much.

Can anyone help me ???
Thanks very much.
Regards

Christian Astuni

Christian,

This sounds like a combination of problems.

First check to see what permissions you have when the archive is running, i.e.
are you running as local system account or some lower authority who is not
allowed to look at certain files, thereby kicking off the Dr. Watson.  This
could be a problem of how you installed your scheduler (dsmcsvc.exe), my guess
is you installed it not using the local system account or your Dr. Watson
setting a bit over zealous.

The reason your incremental works (even if being run with the same authority as
for the archive) is because you probably have exclude statements that keep you
from accessing the inappropriate files, meaning the ones that Dr. Watson chokes
on.  Remember archive only uses the include statements for binding to the
management class and it ignores excludes.

The reason for lack of TSM related messages is because this is not a TSM
related problem.  Dr. Watson sees an access violation so it kills the process
right then and there.  Which does not allow TSM to do any reporting on the
problem.

Now I have a question for you.  Why are you archiving your entire c: drive?
With more information we (meaning this list) could probably give you an
alternative methodology.

--
Regards,
Regards,

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE