ADSM-L

Re: Scheduling back up for laptops

2002-07-19 13:05:36
Subject: Re: Scheduling back up for laptops
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:02:17 -0400
      I don't know of any TSM integrated features for this but it's an
interesting concept. You could defiantly write a batch file (I'm assuming
the laptops are running windows), and put it in the autoexec.bat or startup
folder a batch file which just does a "dsmc q sess" or "dsmc q fi" whatever
the Windows client connection command is to connect to the TSM server, then
on the TSM server side there's always a script or batch file running in the
background which does nothing but issues a "q sess" on the server every
minute or so then an if statement which says if node: "jons.pc" boots up
meaning his lap top startup script makes a dsmc q sess connection to the
TSM server then start the backup, also set his contact variable to 1 which
means he connected once today and the backup happened this will tell the
program, if the variable equals 1, then that means he connected once when
he logged on in the morning and not to perform the backup anymore if he
should reboot. Just an idea, it'll take some scripting on the client and
server side. Hopefully the server is Unix.

--Justin RIchard Bleistein
                      Ray Pratts
                      Ray Pratts
                      <[email protected]        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ET>                      cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Scheduling back up for
laptops
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      07/19/2002 12:24
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

I have several laptops that are not always connected to our network.
I'd like to have them backup, once a day, if the laptops are
connected.   Scheduling does not work because there is not a definite
time that each user arrives at the office.  The way I have it set it up
is with a batch file in the startup folder. Some laptops are restarted
multiple times a day.  This results in multiple backups in one day.
I've not found anything in the manuals for triggering these backups only
once a day when the users connects.  Any ideas are appreciated