ADSM-L

Problems with moving tapes OFFSITE

2002-07-19 00:33:11
Subject: Problems with moving tapes OFFSITE
From: Gordon Woodward <gordon.woodward AT DB DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 14:16:24 +1000
We currently have a problems with our TSM server in regards to ARCHIVE tapes
which we store offsite. Today while trying to load some new scratch tapes into
our Dell PowerVault 136T Library we got a error back saying the "ANR8314E
Library ATL is full".  Our library can physically hold 72 tapes and we
currently have only 52 tapes physically loaded. Over the last couple of months
we have been conducting monthly ARCHIVE backups of our server data, so far 14
tapes have been used for these archives.

If we issue the command QUERY LIBVOLUME only the tapes physically available in
our Dell PowerVault are listed (52 tapes), but if we QUERY VOLUME the tapes
which were used for archival purposes are displayed as well (14 tapes). The
tapes used for archiving data were removed from the library by using the
command:

CHECKOUT LIBVOLUME ATL [tape_volume_name]

We tried to use the MOVE DRMEDIA command but the required tape volumes were not
recorded as valid media to use with DRM. I have since tried updating the status
of the archive tape volumes in question to offsite using the UPDATE VOLUME
command but get the following error:

ANR2117E UPDATE VOLUME: Access mode for volume 000001L1 cannot be changed to
"offsite" - volume either does not belong to a copy storage pool or from a
device class of DEVTYPE=SERVER.
ANR2212I UPDATE VOLUME: No volumes updated.

 What do we need to do to remedy this situation? Should we recall back our
archive tapes from offsite storage and physically reload them back into the
Library or is there a series of command steps I can enter in to manipulate the
status of these tapes internally? Also, in the future how can we use DRM to
checkout the tapes instead of using the CHECKOUT command? The only time I've
been successfull in using DRM to remove a tape from our library was when I
performed a manual dbbackup of our database to tape. All other tapes are simply
ignored when querying the DRM.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gordon Woodward
Deutsche Bank (Australia)

notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized
forbidden.