ADSM-L

Re: TDP for SAP

2002-07-16 11:34:10
Subject: Re: TDP for SAP
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 10:12:55 -0500
Geoffrey -- I can't say where you're running into problems, but I can tell
you how everything ties together, which may give you an idea of where to
look.

Brbackup fires up (SAP backup utility) and determines from its parameter
file or command line that you will be using backint (TDP/R3). Brbackup
invokes brconnect to attach to the database and build a list of files to be
backed up (archived, in TSM terms). This is written out in a file in the
/oracle/<SID>/brbackup directory and backint is invoked.

Backint parses the *utl file -- key values at this point are MAX_SESSIONS
which should be 4 from your notes; RL_COMPRESSION - if yes, backagent does
simple run-length compression of the data *before* passing it to TSM;
MULTIPLEXING, which is the number of files to combine in one session; RETRY,
the number of times to retry a session in the event of TSM errors; TCPWAIT,
the number of seconds to wait before assuming a timeout; and the SERVER
stanzas.

The SERVER in the stanzas references your SERVERNAME in the DSM.SYS under
/api/bin; SESSIONS indicate the number of concurrent sessions for this
server. To use multiple network interfaces, code a SERVERNAME for each
interface in DSM.SYS and include a SERVER stanza for each SERVERNAME; the
number of SESSIONS for all SERVER stanzas must be equal to or greater than
MAX_SESSIONS or backint will toss his cookies and quit.

For each session, backint invokes a copy of backagent to actually read the
files, do the rl-compression, and pass the files to TSM by way of the API.
In earlier versions of backint these were seperate processes; it looks like
they are now threads within the backint process now. If. for example, you
specify MAX_SESSIONS=4 and MULTIPLEXING=3 you will get 4 copies of backagent
running, each of which will grab 3 files at a time. These backagent sessions
and this copy of backint exit when all the database files have been
archived. If this was an off-line backup, brbackup starts the database at
this point; if an on-line backup, the tablespaces are taken out of backup
mode.

And then brbackup fires up backint again, for what SAP calls the 'protocol'
files. These eight files total to less than a gigabyte, usually. They are
the log file for the backup (something.anf or .aff); the back<SID>.log of
all backups; the struct<SID>.log; the init<SID>.sap, init<SID>.utl,
init<SID>.dba and init<SID>.ora, and the reorg<SID>.log. The backup is truly
finished when these eight files have been processed.

One thing I've run into is a change between version 2 backint and version 3
regarding rl-compression. In version 2 the process would work on 256-byte
chunks, dropping them to as little as four bytes. In version 3 the chunks
can be up to 2 GB and can compress down to 8 bytes.

I'd check to see if you're running TSM compression now where you weren't
previously; Oracle databases tend to be pretty empty. I use rl-compression
and *still* get a 4:1 compression ratio on my LTO drives at the hardware
level. Check your network topology, and use ftp to see what speed you're
really getting on the transfer.

Hope this helps --

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc