ADSM-L

executing commands before backup

2002-07-15 17:58:37
Subject: executing commands before backup
From: Simeon Johnston <simeonuj AT INDIVISUALLEARNING DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:56:40 -0500
I want to setup the backup client to execute a *nix shell script before
it backs up.  Actually it HAS to execute the script before it backs up.
We have several Linux servers in our DMZ that are/will be setup to
connect via VPN through our firewall for the duration of the backup
(that way we don't have to bother with TSM encryption etc).  I had
thought the preschedulecmd/postschedulecmd were the way to go but I
can't get a handle on how exactly they work.
Does this need to be done in some sort of macro?  Is it possible?

The reason I'd like the client to execute it via pre/post scedule
commands is that those can be controled by the server.  So, if at a
later date I want to change the schedule I don't have to mess with all
the clients.
The reason for the shell script is that I'd like to keep the TSM config
the same accross all the hosts.  By just using a host specific shell
script that is the only file I need to change if it needs it.

Any help/push in the right direction would be appreciated.

sim