ADSM-L

General TSM Q's

2002-07-15 17:08:53
Subject: General TSM Q's
From: "Miller Dave (RBNA/CIT1)" <Dave.Miller AT US.BOSCH DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:51:08 -0500
Hello All,

We have recently deployed TSM at our site.  Being new to TSM, I have a few
questions I was hoping someone may be able to help with.

I am running TSM 4.2.1.9 with a Compaq ESL9198DLX on W2K

1) Our TSM database has grown surprisingly fast.  We tend to backup LOTS of
little tiny files and as a result our Database is currently around 30Gb.  I
understand that the technical limit for the DB is somewhere around 5TB.

Should I be concerned running a 30GB database on NT using a single server?
Would this be considered a small, average or large TSM installation?

2) We've also found that our library is a little under-sized.  (I regularly
find myself exporting tapes from our primary tape storage pool to make room
for scratch media).  I would like to replace two or three of the DLT40/80
drives in the library with SDLT units.  The ESL9198 hardware will support
Mixing DLT and SDLT drives and media.  Does any know or have experience
setting up a library with two media types?  Would TSM support this type of
environment?

Any help or information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Miller
dave.miller AT us.bosch DOT com