ADSM-L

Re: Solaris client

2002-07-15 16:51:03
Subject: Re: Solaris client
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 15:48:54 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Gill, Geoffrey L.
> Can anyone relate this extremely slow backup to any issues they know about
> TSM or Solaris. The client has 10GB of data, the first 2GB of
> which tool 2.5 hours to transfer, then I killed it from my end. At the
rate
> it was going it was going to take 95 hours to complete.
>
> I'm told there is no mismatch in NIC/Switch settings.

(I've heard *that* before.) Be absolutely sure that all network connections
(NICs, switch ports, etc.) are *all* hard-set to the same (proper) speed and
duples settings. (You're almost always better off avoiding "auto-negotiate"
as the setting.) Run an ftp session to check against your TSM transfer
speed.

Nineteen times out of twenty, slow transfer rates and dropped connections
within a LAN are cause by mismatched network settings or flaky connections.
If speed and duplex settings are correct, and no other client suffers from
this problem, check your cabling and/or change switch ports.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE