ADSM-L

Re: restore asking for offsite copy instead of primary

2002-07-10 13:02:38
Subject: Re: restore asking for offsite copy instead of primary
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 12:00:27 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU]On Behalf Of
Blair, Georgia
> I had a user trying to restore a database and found data unavailable to
> server. The restore was asking for a volume that was offsite. Why wouldn't
> it ask for the primary copy and how do I know what primary volume the data
> is on?

Read the server activity log to see which primary pool tape it was trying to
get. Once you've got the volume number, check the status and storage pool of
the tape (Q VOL F=D) and its physical location (Q LIBV).

If it is a primary tape pool volume, and if it is physically in the library,
it may have gotten set to an incorrect status (thus the OFFSITE)
designation. Update its status to READWRITE, and you should be good to go.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE