ADSM-L

Re: Problems configuring Library Sharing

2002-07-08 10:06:26
Subject: Re: Problems configuring Library Sharing
From: Irena Rokiene <IRokiene AT MAIL.LBANK DOT LT>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 16:04:52 +0200
Hi,

I have no ideas why TSM server - Library manager works perfectly as
standalone server and gives errors in Library Sharing environment. We tried
to execute command "backup db" many times. It is strange, but one time the
command completed successfully and we sent database backups to shared
LTO3584. Neither try was successful later.  I have searched through Tivoli
Knowledge Base and found APARs IC31192 and IC31179 which describe similar
problems. I am not sure that described errors are exactly our errors.
Besides, as I understood, these APARs are fixed only in TSM v 5.1, not v
4.2.

Best regards,
Irena Rokiene

                    Gianluca Mariani1
                    <gianluca_mariani@I       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT
EDU
                    T.IBM.COM>                cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:           Subject:     Re: Problems
configuring Library Sharing
                    Dist Stor Manager"
                    <[email protected]

                    2002.07.08 12:05
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

the error numbers are AIX errno. look them up and see if that gives you
some better idea.

Cordiali saluti
Gianluca Mariani
Tivoli TSM Global Response Team, Roma
Via Sciangai 53, Roma
 phones : +39(0)659664598
                   +393351270554 (mobile)
gianluca_mariani AT it.ibm DOT com

                      Zlatko Krastev
                      <[email protected]        To:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ET>                      cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: Problems
configuring Library Sharing
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      06-07-02 17.24
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

look at the output of 'lsattr -El rmt3' on both servers and compare
output. This may reveal the reason.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc:

Subject:        Problems configuring Library Sharing

Hello all,

We have problems configuring TSM Tape Library Sharing. Our environment is
the following:

Library manager - TSM Server v 4.2.2.0, AIX v 4.3.3

Library Client - TSM Server v 4.2.2.0, AIX v 4.3.3

Library - IBM LTO 3584, connected to SAN with Compaq Fibre Channel SAN
Switch 8-EL.

TSM Server - Library Manager is working fine with the library. When we try
to issue command "backup db devclass=lto_class" on library client, the
following error messages are written to the actlog:

On library manager:

ANR0408I Session 973 started for server GED_ADSM (AIX-RS/6000) (Tcp/Ip)
for library sharing.

ANR8337I LTO volume A00066 mounted in drive LTO4 (/dev/rmt3).

ANR9791I Volume A00066 in library LTO3584 ownership is changing from
ALFA_ADSM to GED_ADSM.

ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt3, error number=11.

ANR9999D pvr.c(5712): ThreadId<63> Unable to open device LTO4. Forcing
dismount.

ANR8336I Verifying label of LTO volume A00066 in drive LTO4 (/dev/rmt3).

ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive LTO4 (/dev/rmt3) for
SETMODE operation, errno = 9.

ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt3, error number=11.

ANR8469E Dismount of LTO volume A00066 from drive LTO4 (/dev/rmt3) in
library LTO3584 failed.

ANR9999D mmsscsi.c(1723): ThreadId<67> Volume may still be in the drive
LTO4 (/dev/rmt3).

ANR8446I Manual intervention required for library LTO3584.

ANR0409I Session 973 ended for server GED_ADSM (AIX-RS/6000).

On library client:

ANR2017I Administrator ADMIN issued command: BACKUP DB devclass=lto_class

ANR0984I Process 162 for DATABASE BACKUP started in the BACKGROUND at
16:38:35.

ANR2281I Incremental database backup started as process 162.

ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt3, error number=16.

ANR1404W Scratch volume mount request denied - mount failed.

ANR4578E Database backup/restore terminated - required volume was not
mounted.

ANR0985I Process 162 for DATABASE BACKUP running in the BACKGROUND
completed with completion state FAILURE at 16:39:30.

Could somebody tell me what these errors mean and what the problem could
be?

Best regards,

Irena Rokiene